Friday, May 10, 2019

Fear can be an Expression of Love


 I recently took a self-care day all to myself. No people, no work, no taking care of my plants or dog. I went to a small town, sat at a coffee shop to do some personal writing and reading, and hiked through the conservation area.

The wooshing sound of the river calmed my mind; the birds cascading in the sky opened me up to new possibilities; and the old trees and their long roots that creeped through the landscape gave me the groundedness I’ve been seeking. One of the things I love about nature is how it reminds me of how small my lifetime is, as well as how I’m an important part of preserving it and appreciating it.

I needed this recharge because I’ve honestly been taking on the stresses of this global climate crisis, feeling the sadness of species that are going instinct as well as the heartbreak of communities undergoing natural disasters.


I grew up around nature in Jamaica and in Canada, and I have such an appreciation for the life forms that exist in our world – life forms that get taken for granted. As a kid, I used to volunteer at a nature centre every Sunday, educating people about snakes, frogs and turkey vultures.  I absolutely love the animal, bird and insect worlds. They have so much to teach us about ourselves.

Even in dog training classes with Max, I’m learning a ton about a dog’s experience – which can easily be translated into lessons of life. Such as, “dogs want what they want; if you give them what they want then they will listen”. I know many people who are like this. I have also learned about fear mechanisms within dogs and how to move them to a greater state of calm and relaxation.  In essence, when dogs are afraid, they are essentially stressed. Just like people. So how do we calm them down when they are threatened in order to bring ease?

While I was at the coffee shop during my self-care day, I read a line in the new Oracle Cards that I bought. It said that fear can actually reflect what we love. “Hunh?” I thought to myself, reflecting on my own experiences with fear. I would have to agree in many ways. I am afraid of losing nature and species on the planet, because I love them. I’m afraid of losing my friends or face a devastating mortality due to natural disasters because I love life and I love them.  I’m afraid of getting hurt because I love feeling good, free, innocent and centred.

Knowing these things, it helps me to make friends with fear. It also guides me on what actions can I take in order to preserve what I love.  I am planning on volunteering and supporting the Green Party in any way I can. I also want to plant trees this summer and plant a garden that will attract bees –one of my totem insects. This is how fear and love are motivating me right now.

How about you? What is it that you are afraid of? What is the love underneath that fear? How can it help you to take action in the world around you?

Your love and heart do matter and I believe it can make all the difference.


2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written Heather. It touched my heart, thank-you! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that was supposed to be a heart emoticon!

      Delete