Friday, September 30, 2016

Sharing Your Truth as a Spiritual Act



Often times when we think of spirituality, we think of meditation, prayer, self-reflection or yoga or other acts of being in solitude.  There is a sense that peace is found when we’re away from relationships and being in a place of silence, finding our centre.  What can happen if that is our only approach is we develop a sense of loneliness or isolation where we block the flow and presence of compassion with or from another.  It is only through sharing our stories, our challenges, our flaws and our regrets can we truly grow in our personal wisdom and also feel the presence of love and understanding when caring people are listening to us. 

True sharing doesn’t mean wallowing, bickering or gossiping about others.  Though it may be necessary to vent what is really bothering you, healthy sharing allows for a sense of reciprocal relating where people can feel heard, understood and supported. There is a sense that all parties walk away feeling more connected, expanded or stronger within.


Ancient societies understood the importance of sharing through creating healing circles and allowing each person to speak what is going on inside of them, along with any wisdom that is coming to them. In our modern world, this art of the sharing circle has been lost, where most meetings are to fulfill a business-type purpose for a company. The attendees have to be ego-driven by the need to compete for status, to keep a job or to prove their intelligence. It’s not where genuine, honest sharing takes place where insecurities and humility are to be encouraged.


I am not sure if you’ve ever experienced that moment when you meet a stranger and realize through a simple conversation how much you have in common.  It is one of those profound interactions that shows that we really aren’t all that different as people, and we share similar aches, sorrows, joys and fears as the next person.  When two hearts meet in any capacity, the world turns into a more loving place.


I have been fortunate enough to not have a ton of fear in meeting new people, and instead have had the attitude of curiousity about who they are and what our common humanity is.  I’ve hugged complete strangers, sat for a coffee with someone I’ll never see again and been comforted myself by people who I thought would never truly understand.


This happened the other night when I was at a support group. I bravely shared a part of my story about when I was a teenager and moved out of the house at 16 years old because my stepfather was someone with untreated PTSD and OCD issues. I don’t usually share this with others out of fear of being judged or dredging up old emotions from the past. But this experience in my life lingers with me at times of change and feeling unsafe, alone and on the verge of homelessness.  There isn’t much compassion in the world for homeless youth. Many people see them as undisciplined, addicts, messed up, scary, or violent. 

Society expects homeless youth to grow up and become criminals, ne’er-do-wells or leaches on society.  Not many sit down and ask them if they need help or a hug or support to put their lives in a direction of well-being.  I am a success story in various ways, but I still grapple with anxiety about the rug being pulled out from under me or getting myself into another abusive dynamic.


 At this support group, after I shared my story, a young woman in her 20s started crying saying it was the first time in her life that someone else truly understood her – that she, too, left home at 16 years old and experienced the struggle of homelessness.  I was stunned. This was one of those moments when love and understanding was exchanged between two souls who were being naked with their wounds. It was deeply healing for both of us. 


Imagine if I never shared this story – how it would have been at the detriment of this young woman who could have continued through life feeling alone and misunderstood.  It confirmed to me the power of sharing and the great importance of it.


It doesn’t surprise me the healing nature of sharing because I’ve been attending sacred circles and organizing them for years. But this time it was different. I shared something raw, deeply personal and set myself up for being seen in a negative light among strangers. Just like how I’m doing now.  Because we all want to carry a mask of strength.


But I know that someone who is reading this, especially knowing the kind of people I serve, will hold this in gentleness and care and understood the depth of my empathy and inner strength because of what I’ve endured. It’s made me a better healer, coach and human being in so many ways and I would trade that in for the world. And someone out there reading this may be able to relate to what I’ve gone through in some way.  It’s why I am determined to share my story, my life journey and challenges, so that another person in this world won’t feel so alone, weird, misunderstood or lost.  


Love is what makes the world go around, and that love comes through us as people sharing our hearts so we can grow spiritually and emotionally in our lives.  What are you afraid of sharing? How is it keeping you in an inner prison filled with fear and self-judgment because of it?


If, through my relating, you can sense a familiarity or trust with me, I would love to hear from you. I can offer you one-on-one soul coaching sessions or the experience of a retreat or sharing circle, knowing that I would hold who you are and where you’ve been, with deep respect and understanding.


For more information, please visit my site at: www.blossomingheart.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment