Monday, May 1, 2017

Right Livelihood

I was recently at Irina Benedict’s weekend for Spiritual Entrepreneurs on Becoming Truly Free.  She is brilliant at working with people’s inner child wounds as the barriers to success on the path of entrepreneurship.  She offers various activities and coaching that helps the participants have really profound insights. (I highly recommend you check her out if you are thinking about entrepreneurship or are in a business and feeling stuck and you want a spiritual approach). And I definitely was someone who had the benefit and challenge of having to face some core barriers within myself.


The one of many insights was my resistance to business for 2 reasons – I hate being busy and I have some wounds from when I was in business school in my 20s.  (Now this isn’t to say I judge people who are running a business – this is all my internal, emotional stuff I’m grappling with).  I’ll explain my personal experience. 

Firstly, I’ve been the one in the family who was considered “lazy”.  I’d daydream, sleep in for as long as I wanted, wanted life to be simple, and got overwhelmed easily by too many human dynamics and conflicts.  In my family, being busy was considered to be a “good thing”, close to godliness (those darned Protestant Ancestors, I tell you!).  Instead of relating emotionally or asking how we were really doing, the question would be something to the effect of “are you making money?” and “you must so busy, right?” and they would understand if you couldn’t make it to a family function if work were the excuse.  So long as you’re busy doing something, and you’re making money doing it.  Workaholism is another type of addiction rampant in our culture and it has done more damage to the soul than some of the other addictions – because it creates loneliness, fierce independence, stress, exhaustion, burnout and abandoned relationships. When you break down the word “business” it means “busy ness”.  Crazy, eh? So no wonder I was procrastinating when it came to doing the entrepreneurship program. The last thing I wanted was to be busier than I already was.  “Stop the bus, I want off!” was what I wanted to say.

I believe that our culture is too busy, over productive and missing out taking the time to cultivate the soul within.  Imagine of more people just stopped, breathed, were mindful and did less? Our earth and environment would greatly benefit, and our personal relationships surely would, as well.  

I want to show a different way of living and being that can be abundant and lead to a feeling of well-being and peace, and to incorporate this in how I work with clients.

Then the other reason I was resistant to doing the program or making a fully functioning business for myself had to do with my experiences in Business School in my 20s.  I went into the program thinking it was something practical, and not because it was in my heart (I would have preferred taking English and Sociology). I spent 4 gruelling years in the program, volunteering in so many other capacities so I could get a degree that could get me a job.  I was the weird kid in the program who cared about the earth and believed in ethical, eco, co-operative practices (which is now trendy), and I preferred wearing jeans and a t-shirt rather than a suit to school.  I didn’t like the cliquey nature of the school, where you were valued based on what business connections your parents had. It just smelled of pure greed and it felt like I was so stuck in a see of people where I didn’t belong. 

So my association with the words “business” and “entrepreneurship” was one that made me cringe and something I tried to run away from after I graduated (even though my degree haunted me on my resume where everyone assumed I wanted to do their marketing when they hired me at a job).

 The reason I started a small business 8 years ago was because I had a supportive partner at the time who encouraged me in that direction, showing me that it is a place where a holistic practitioner can make a living.  Going into it, it spoke to me about the possibilities of freedom, ability to choose who you do and don’t work with, and the chance to grow spiritually and personally while doing it.  I saw the plus side of running a business and preferred to call it a “practice”.

So at this past weekend’s retreat, I was asking my angel guides to show me how I could come to peace with this word, knowing it had all these negative connotations for me.  Immediately the word “livelihood” popped into my mind and that felt right.  So instead of saying “I own a business”, I can say “I make my livelihood doing…”. 

Then I realized that one of the sacred 8-fold traits of the noble path 

in Buddhism is “right livelihood”, which means “any occupation that does not cause unnecessary harm to other living things. It also means to being honest and ethical in business dealings — not to cheat, steal or lie, and in general make one’s living in an upstanding way.” 

Through this window of understanding, I could embrace being a 

spiritual entrepreneur, knowing it is supporting my path of peace 

and integrity to reduce harm and also support and uplift other living beings.  This is an especially important trait for me, because my father was an unethical salesperson and I carried a lot of shame in my lineage because of his actions.  From him, I learned the value of an honest living because of the suffering the choices he made had on me, my family and others. 

So, thank you, Irina, for providing the space, presence and understanding to guide me towards the deeper meaning of 
entrepreneurship and how it can be a tool for spiritual transformation on our planet. 


And thank you to my clients for believing in me, entrusting me, and allowing me to support you in your process towards greater peace, well-being and love in the world.


Irina offers a free 4-day online training series that is a beneficial 
beginning for those who are starting out or are wanting more 
support as spiritual entrepeneurs.  You can click here for more 



No comments:

Post a Comment